Terry Trivette

Terry Trivette

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Fragile Friendships

The older I get the more amazed I am at the fragility of human relationships. Our closest bonds seem tenuous at best. Those who once vowed eternal loyalty so quickly become adversaries, or worse strangers, and often over the slightest injury or disagreement. Relationships are messy. Emotions, egos, and agendas often collide with devastating results.

It is unfortunate that it is this way, because I find myself becoming more and more defensive, cynical, and reluctant toward to my fellow man. It was what Dallas Willard describes as “withdrawal” in his book “Renovation of the Heart”. I guard myself vigilantly from letting too much out, for fear that my trust will be betrayed by someone who simply wants to feel better about their own deficiencies. The aged Apostle John encouraged us to “love one another”, but it is hard to love someone you aren’t quite sure you really know, and are certain you don’t completely trust.

Oh, but the good news is, I always have two true partners on this lonely trek. My dear Lord Jesus, who is a better friend than I have ever been to Him, and whose fidelity is secured by His Word. The other is my precious wife, Angel. She is truly loyal, deeply devoted, and the one human who knows me thoroughly, and loves me wholeheartedly. She is my “help meet”. I guess two true friends is enough until the family of God reaches that land where we will truly love unconditionally, and all relationships are as solid as the foundation of that Celestial City.

No comments:

Post a Comment