Terry Trivette

Terry Trivette

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The St. Patrick I Never Knew

Following a recommendation from a blog by Dr. Russell Moore , I recently finished the biography, St. Patrick of Ireland, by Philip Freeman. I must confess that the extent of my knowledge of Patrick was basically limited to the holiday named after him, which today has absolutely nothing to do with the man himself. Several years ago I had the privilege of visiting Northern Ireland, but I don't recall even hearing Patrick's name, though we visited a number of historic sites.

Freeman's biography draws from the limited number of legitimate sources available on Patrick's life, which are primarily a couple of letters he wrote. There is not a lot of information given in these documents, but there is enough to construct a pretty decent picture of the man behind the holiday in March.

A couple of things about Patrick both surprised and inspired me. For one, I was surprised to learn that Patrick was not originally from Ireland. He was born in England. He spent the majority of his life in Ireland, but was born a Roman citizen in what became Britain. At a young age, Patrick was kidnapped by Irish pirates, and carried into slavery in Ireland. He eventually escaped and returned home to England, only to feel the call of God to return as a missionary to the very people who had enslaved him.

I was inspired as I recognized the genuine faith that emanates from Patrick's letters. The drunken holiday that bears his name completely misrepresents the godly man for whom it is named. Patrick was a humble, devoted, and powerful servant of Christ.

Patrick writes in his Confession letter:

"[God] cared for me before I ever knew who he was...and loved me even as a father does his own child. Because of this I cannot - I will not - be silent. I will tell of the great blessings God has granted to me and the grace he has shown to me in this land of slavery."

Later in the same letter he writes:

"...before God humbled me I was like a stone stuck deep in a mud puddle. But then God came along and with his power and compassion reached down and pulled me out, raised me up, and placed me on top of a wall. Because of this I must proclaim my good news..."

Explaining his call to Ireland, He writes:

"The love of Christ carried me here to be a help to these people for the rest of my life, if I may be worthy, and to work for them with humility and in sincerity."

Though patrick ministered some 1,600 years ago, I recognize in his writings the same love for Christ and His Kingdom that flows in the hearts of his servants today. If you are interested in learning more about St. Patrick, pick up Freeman's biography. It will be a blessing to you, and you will think about it every time you eat your Lucky Charms.

(Freeman, Philip,St. Patrick of Ireland: A Biography, Simon & Schuster, New York, 2004)

1 comment:

  1. What's intresting is that the same love for Christ is what ought to drive the 21st century Christian as well. Although seperated by the expanse of time and a sea of technology, we really arn't all that different. A Christian is a Christian no matter what century you inhabit. Great post! Keep 'em coming, Tyranious Bonhoffer!

    ReplyDelete