Terry Trivette

Terry Trivette

Monday, June 23, 2014

Reflections on the First Year


            Yesterday I celebrated my first year as pastor of Sharon Heights Baptist Church. Here are some of my thoughts on this first anniversary.

Providence is powerful

            Providence is one of my favorite terms. It speaks of the unseen but undeniable hand of God guiding our paths. In Wendell Berry’s novel, Jayber Crow, the main character says, “I am an ignorant pilgrim, crossing a dark valley. And yet for a long time, looking back, I have been unable to shake off the feeling that I have been led – make of that what you will.”
            Looking back over this past year, I cannot shake off the feeling that I have been led. It was God who connected me with the people of Sharon Heights. I have seen His big hand in little ways nearly every week of this past year. I bless His providence!

Pastoring is a privilege

            The people of Sharon Heights have been so kind to express their gratitude for my ministry. The reality is, however, I am the one who must be grateful. It is a great privilege to pastor anywhere, and the ministry is something I do not deserve. The privilege of ministry is greatly increased when you are blessed to pastor a people who love you, support you, pray for you, and share your love for Jesus. I am doubly blessed and I am grateful.

Preaching is paramount

            After a year of preaching to these gracious people, I am more convinced than ever that successive Biblical exposition is the greatest thing a pastor can do for his congregation. The majority of the Sundays this past year (34 to be exact) were spent preaching through the gospel of John.
            One of the values that we adopted early on is this: We value exposition over entertainment. Working through books of the Bible may not always be the most exciting method of preaching, but I do believe it is the most edifying to the people who hear it.
            My prayer is that when my ministry here is finished the people of this congregation will have grown in their love for the Word of God, their knowledge of its message, and most of all, their devotion to Jesus, about whom all Scripture speaks.

            Well, that’s enough reflection. Year two is underway, Sunday is coming, and John 15 needs to be studied. “And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry.” I Timothy 1:12

His,
Terry




1 comment:

  1. Amen Pastor. We are all so blessed by the Grace of our sweet Jesus, and I thank Him daily for sending you and your precious family to SHBC! God is good and faithful and without Him how lost I would be.

    ReplyDelete